Thursday 7 May 2015

LINEN LOVIN'



Image via Pinterest


So, in keeping with my new design philosophy (see All Change Please! ) I seem to have developed a rather unhealthy obsession with natural linen bedding.

Previously, I was a stickler for crisp white egyptian cotton and would insist on steam-ironing my sheets and duvet covers before allowing them anywhere near the bed.  Then, a couple of years ago, I purchased a linen bedding set in The White Company sale and the iron has remained in the cupboard ever since!

My favourite thing about pure linen bedding (apart from being able to pretend I'm sleeping in a French farmhouse!) is that it's the complete antithesis of the 'show home' look that I strived to achieve for so long.  It's supposed to look a bit crumpled and casual - and I love it!  It's the interior equivalent of 'bed-head' hair.

The arduous manufacturing process goes some way to explain why pure linen textiles can be so expensive (The Linen Works prices start at around £95 for a single flat sheet) but it is durable and strong yet lightweight, cool and fresh for summer yet warming in the winter.  It is also relatively easy to care for and gets smoother the more it is washed.  


Image via Pinterest


If you can afford good quality linen it will be a worthy investment.  But if you're after the cosy feel without the hefty price tag there are options to suit every budget.  Check out my three of the best, below:


BUDGET:  H&M Home 



Linen duvet set (double) - £59.99
Premium quality duvet and two pillowcases, available in white, light grey, light beige, dark grey and dark blue.



MID-RANGE: Loaf




'Lazy Linen' duvet cover (double) - £140
Crushed Belgian linen, available in white, dusty pink, light grey and natural.


HIGH-END: The Linen Works



Duvet cover (double) - £170
100% washed linen, available in Classic White, Cassis Rose, Toulon Grey, Parisian Blue and Lens Charcoal