Wednesday 8 May 2013

Pulse 2013 Preview




In a few days time I shall be making my inaugural visit to the summer's largest design-led home and gift trade show, Pulse.
After the joy of discovering so many talented designer/makers at the Home show earlier this year, (see my earlier post, Home Sweet Home) to say I'm excited about this one is a slight understatement.

More than half of the exhibitors are exclusive to Pulse and with their unique Launchpad platform, dedicated to promoting some of the world's most exciting new designers, I'm sure  I'll have lots to tell you about.  The show is divided in to five sectors - Home, Gift, Wellbeing, Fashion Accessories and the aforementioned Launchpad - and attracts thousands of buyers from across the globe.
I shall be bringing you my round-up of favourites, and hopefully giving you a bit of insider information on the Autumn/Winter trends, later this month.  In the meantime, I've already singled out a few designers whose star is definitely on the rise and whom I am very much looking forward to seeing next week...



My Three to See:


Jorja Wilkinson Design

I first came across Jorja's  60's inspired designs in last October's Country Living magazine.
Working from an idyllic sounding cricket pavilion studio in North Yorkshire, she creates striking patterns with clean lines and a crispness not unlike Orla Kiely, but with a much fresher, contemporary palette. 
A menagerie of animals, flora and fauna feature heavily in her designs so if you're looking for English countryside with a twist you'll love Jorja's products.  Tea towels, lampshades and stationery are just some of the products available in numerous stockists up and down the country. See Jorja's website for more details.


'Poppy' lampshade in green, from £32 - Jorja Wilkinson Design




Kangan Arora

I met Kangan earlier this year when I was attending evening classes at Central St Martins.   Our course tutor had got stuck in traffic somewhere hours from London and wouldn't make it in time so instead of cancelling the lesson, Kangan stepped in to save the day!  A graduate of both CSM and the National Institute of Fashion Technology, she talked with such obvious passion about her craft to us amateurs I immediately looked her up when I got home.  Kangan's inspiration comes from India's vibrant street culture (something which is also very close to my heart, but more about that soon!) and she combines techniques such as screen-printing and appliqué to create bold, quirky textiles and prints.  Check out her Etsy shop here.

'Circles' screen printed cushion, £24 - Kangan Arora via Etsy





Roddy & Ginger

Having already featured quite prominently in several interiors publications over the last two years, Roddy & Ginger were recently selected as one to watch by official Pulse blogger, Confessions of a Design Geek's Katie Treggiden (read her interview with them here). I've also picked them out as I am particularly drawn to their folksy style which is combined with a distinctly mid-century modern colour palette.  
Producing a range of home wares, textiles and stationery from her studio in south-east London, founder Virginia Armstrong also works as a freelance illustrator and designer.  See the full range of products at the Roddy & Ginger website. I love these fun 'log' books (see what they did there?):



Set of three Log Books, £12 - Roddy & Ginger



I hope that this little pre-show teaser has left you wanting more - be sure to check back soon for a full review. I'm now more excited than I was before I started - it's certainly got my Pulse racing! (I know, sorry!)