Tuesday 17 December 2013

My First Fair!


Last Saturday I lost my craft fair virginity when I took my Piccadelhi products out in to the big, wide world (well, Crouch End) for the first time.

The inaugural Crouch End Christmas Craft Fair was held in the Town Hall Square and I joined around thirty other stallholders there, each of us selling a variety of hand-crafted wares.  The sun was out early and after putting up the gazebos provided, I set about laying out my table.  As recommended, I had done a dress rehearsal the night before so I knew where everything needed to go. This meant I saved a bit of time, which was just as well as customers were beginning to browse before the advertised 11 o' clock opening time.  


Piccadelhi
Ready for business!

Obviously I was apprehensive about how my range would be received by the residents of N8 but, after making my first sale at around 11.15am, my nerves were steadied.  Throughout the day there was a constant stream of visitors, including appearances from a few familiar faces, and I barely had time to make use of the chair I had brought along.  The wind proved a bit of a problem - the poor lady selling her art work next to me eventually got fed up chasing her paintings across the shrubbery and packed up about 3pm, and at one point Santa was left exposed as his grotto went sailing across the square! - but all in all it was a resounding success for all involved.  

I made some good sales but, perhaps more importantly, I gained valuable feedback.  I went in to the day treating it as a learning experience more than anything - any sales would be a bonus - but I came away with twice as much money as I started with, a handful of new Twitter followers and a head buzzing with ideas.  I have great enthusiasm for 2014 and shall start working on some new designs over Christmas.

Piccadelhi
My bright coloured wares attracted lots of interest.


More than anything the whole experience gave me so much more confidence in my designs and belief that this is something I am meant to be doing.  Standing behind my stall greeting shoppers made me feel far happier than I ever have in my working life so far…although perhaps in the future I shall target indoor events - I may have been happy but I was still cold!