Saturday 10 November 2012

Purple Reigns, Dear.

Here's something I never thought I'd say: I must get some lametta for the Christmas tree this year.

Yes, you heard correctly. After years of banishment from our household (much to Mr VKH's disapproval), and much derision from yours truly, it seems that this year I am going to have to admit defeat: lametta is in.

    I blame Living Etc and their too cool for school style team.  In the decorating pages of this month's issue we're treated to a theatrical extravaganza with plenty of lights and stars. And lametta.  
It goes against everything I stand for when it comes to my home. It is cheap, shiny and looks incredibly untidy. But somehow in these holy pages it looks casual, cool and oh so sparkly!
Even more scary is how I caught myself stroking it longingly in the shop yesterday. I'm also particularly taken with the gold drape curtain from Pearl And Earl.  I think I've been taken over by aliens. 


  After the success of last year's Kitsch-mas, for our (now annual) Mulled Wine & Mince Pies Night next month, I'm pulling out all the stops. I'm taking inspiration from the lush Cox and Cox Christmas catalogue and Tim Burton's 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. Think opulence with a touch of humour: gold, top hats, cut glass, bowls of sugared fruit, candelabras, maybe a feather boa or two, paper pom-poms, sparkly skulls (too far?) and lots and lots of my new favourite colour, purple. 
Alexander McQueen and Prince all bundled up in to one glorious mess of gothic bonkers-ness. Or, Helena Bonham-Carter.

Here's what's on the wish-list:



L-R: 'Skulls' wallpaper by Barbara Hulanicki for Graham & Brown, £60 per roll  Velvet cushions, £32.50 each, Graham and Green  Multi-glittered skull tree decorations, set of 4, £6.00, Paperchase  Vintage silk Top Hat, £100, Bottle Green Homes,  Green Ivy Garland (1.8m) from £6.25 and Black Mirror Ball, from £12.00, both DZD,  'Connie' glass bauble, £2.50, Habitat,  pair of John Rocha Black cut glass wine glasses, £135, House of Fraser,  Glass Christmas Tree jar, £30,  Aubergine Pillar Candle, £8.50 and Chunky Mercuried Glass Candlestick, £10.50, all Cox and Cox,  XL Drape Fringing Curtain in gold, £15 and Paper Balls, from £5.00, both Pearl And Earl.

And, of course, all topped off with a sprinkling of purple lametta. Just to please Mr VKH :-)