Thursday 9 January 2014

A Right Mug

I've often been asked if I collect anything (usually around Christmas or my birthday) and the answer is always a resounding 'No!'.  I don't like clutter and pointless ornaments send shivers down my spine.  I live by the old adage that if something is neither useful or beautiful it has no place in the home (insert witty comment about husbands here).
But, it seems that subconsciously, I do collect something.  I hadn't really thought about it before but on stumbling upon these beauties by Gary Birks (below) I realised I have a thing about mugs.  And what's more, it occurred to me that  I have certain mugs for certain drinks. 


Gary Birks
New collection from Gary Birks


For example, if I have tea in the morning (English Breakfast, natch) it has to be out of a chunky earthenware mug, one of the cheap and cheerful ones that we have picked up from gigs over the years, or my special Arsenal mug which I've had since I was little.  
Elevenses comes from my Emma Bridgewater Polka Dot mug for which I subscribed to Country Living magazine, just to get it free.  Of an afternoon I like Darjeeling out of my new Mini Moderns 'Darjeeling' mug which has replaced my Cow Parade one as the bone china mug of choice.  If I have tea in the evening it has to be from one of my Denby Jet collection. 

Is that weird?  Perhaps, but in case there are any other mug fetishists out there I've rounded up a few others that I'd like to add to my 'collection' for when those mentioned above are in the dishwasher or - say it quietly - they go to the great kitchen cupboard in the sky... 


Reiko Kaneko mug
Drip Tease Mug in gold, £9.80 - Reiko Kaneko


Bucket Mug, £10 - Keith Brymer Jones



Mali ceramic mug, £12.95 - Nkuku



Celadon Grey tea mug, £12.00 - Nom Living

Everyone should have a favourite mug.  I just happen to have lots.


Links:

Reiko Kaneko      

Keith Brymer Jones

Nkuku

Nom Living