Sunday 5 January 2014

Happy New Year!




So that's Christmas done and packed away for another year.  I have to admit that December is my least favourite month - the frantic scramble to get presents and the decision of where to spend Christmas Day coupled with the anniversary of my dad's passing on the 21st make it a particularly difficult time for me personally and I always feel a huge sense of relief when it's all over.

January, though, is a different story.  Come the new year I am filled with a renewed sense of optimism and enthusiasm.  It is a time for re-organising and planning - a fresh start.  As a self-confessed interiors addict, I subscribe to several magazines and I keep them (much to Mr VKH's annoyance) in a stack in the corner of our living room.  At the end of December  I go through each one from the year before and tear out any pages that I find useful or inspiring before sending them to the recycling bin.  I also like to look back at the trend forecasts and see what worked, what didn't transpire and which brands have grown in popularity.   

A fresh start. (image via Pinterest)
In a way, I take the same approach to life: in the first few days of the year I always like to take stock, think about what I want to achieve over the coming months and set myself goals (continue to grow the Piccadelhi brand, draw more, quit TV completely).  I don't make resolutions but I do think about aspects of my life that I'd like to change or improve (social life, self-confidence, fitness)  and also try to ditch the habits that do me no good (self-castigation, a severe latte and almond croissant addiction).  

In 2014 I'm hoping to build on the things I learnt last year, strengthen the new relationships I made and make more new ones.  I'm looking forward to visiting more shows, starting with Home and Top Drawer next week.

All in all, I hope to continue to inspire and be inspired and maybe somewhere along the way I might just find some semblance of contentment - now wouldn't that be nice?